I hate swimming, the water's cold and I can't breathe

I HATE swimming, the water's cold and I can't breathe!

Or so I thought...

THE TRUTH

Swimming is a sport for everyone. Aquatic fitness options are available to children, teens, middle-agers and seniors. So why do so many people quit swimming before they even get going? Many would-be swimmers throw in the towel after a few visits to the pool with the belief that they are just not equipped to swim. Who can blame them? It can be pretty discouraging to feel completely breathless after only one length of a 25 yard pool. What makes it even more difficult is seeing the swimmers in the other lanes cruising effortlessly between the lane ropes.

A huge obstacle for so many people is the breathing issue. Humans need to breathe air consistently. In fact, our body is so good at breathing, that we don’t even need to think much about it. Swimming, however, requires us to learn how to control our breathing so that we can move under and through the water without harm. And while we begin to swim, we are forced to think about breathing…to be a swimmer, we must learn to breathe all over again.

MY SWIMMING STORY

When I decided to take a swimming class for PE while in college, I got excited. The last time I swam was when I was in a YMCA program as a 7 year old. I had been introduced to the basic strokes and was quite comfortable in the water. I had been described as a “fish” in the water. So on the first day of PE, I had happy memories floating around in my mind and could not wait to get in the water.

HELLO (Rude awakening)…the water was not exactly warm when I jumped in. This was not quite the way I remembered the pool in my memories. I got over the initial shock but I would never forget the feeling.

We were asked to swim 2 laps of freestyle which I thought would be fairly easy. I was in above average shape so a few laps should have been easy. As I attempted to swim across the pool, I kept getting more and more winded…not to mention there was water up my nose and in my goggles. The edge of the pool seemed to get further away. By the time I did get to the other end, I felt like I was about to die. I was not in a happy place...oh, and I had a major headache.

FAST FORWARD TO PRESENT

I got back in? Are you sure?

I never thought I would have the desire to get back in a pool to swim. The thing that changed me was seeing my 8 year old son jump into the pool for his first lesson and all the little steps he has made that have brought him to where he is today. He has been transformed from a ‘boy who swims’ to a ‘swimmer’ on a year round competitive swim team.

I saw my son and all the other kids at their various levels and noticed that many were in the same place I had been years ago when I decided to give up on swimming. As they first jumped in the water, some were screaming in response to the shock of the cold water. As they swam their laps, many had water gushing into their ears and noses and some were swallowing lots of water. Lots of them struggled and looked winded. Many had to stop between each lap. A few of them even cried.

The difference between these kids and me, way back when, was that these kids kept coming back for more. They were willing to endure the same things again…and again. Each time I saw these kids, they were smiling more often, frowning less and becoming better swimmers.

When I need a reality check, or just some simple motivation, I just picture my son way back then and see how much he has changed. It’s all a progression…nothing more, nothing less.

EPILOGUE

I still can’t stand the initial cold water shock and I still don’t like being wet after I get out of the pool. I would be lying if I said I can easily swim a bunch of laps like some of the swimmers that frequent my pool. But I am smiling more often and am becoming a better swimmer. And losing a few pounds here and there hasn’t hurt either.

Comments